Why you’ll love this frozen watermelon margarita
- I based this recipe for watermelon margaritas on my frozen watermelon mule recipe, and if you like that recipe, I know you’ll love this one, too.
- This drink is a great way to use leftover watermelon. You can cube it up and freeze it for later so you can make this cocktail whenever you want.
- Blending frozen fruit gives the drink a smoother texture than ice alone, and the water content in the melon also contributes to the icy texture.
Ingredients & Substitutions
How to make frozen watermelon margaritas
Freeze the watermelon. If you haven’t already, freeze your watermelon. This could take up to 4 hours, depending on size, so make sure you plan ahead.
Rim your glasses. This recipe makes 3 margaritas, so use a lime wedge to rim 3 glasses with Tajin (or just a sugar/salt mixture if you don’t have that). Set aside for later.
Garnish and serve. Divide the margaritas between your prepared glasses and garnish with a watermelon slice – or a skewer with watermelon balls.
I also like to pop a sprig of mint in the glass for color. This is especially necessary if you are only using a melon ball skewer for garnish.
frequently asked questions: watermelon margarita
Watermelon naturally has a higher amount of sugar for a fruit. These margaritas are as low on sugar as possible, using agave nectar to add just a bit more sweetness. Per serving this recipe has 34.2 grams of sugar.
Try using a lemon liqueur such as Chartreuse Yellow or Limoncello if you do not have any triple sec on hand. You could also use orange juice if you need to, but it will lower the alcohol content of the margarita though.
More margarita recipes you will love
- Blood orange hibiscus mezcalita
- Limoncello lemon margaritas
- Prickly pear margaritas
- Roasted strawberry margaritas on the rocks
Frozen Watermelon Margarita
If there’s an official cocktail of summer, I think the watermelon margarita should be it. This easy, blended margarita strikes the perfect balance between boozy and sweet, and it’s a great way to use the other half of that huge watermelon you bought early this week. Garnish with a tangy, chili lime rim and a skewer of melon balls, just for fun.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 3 margaritas 1x
- Category: Tequila
- Method: Blending
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Diet: Vegan
- 4 cups frozen watermelon cubes (about 1 pound)
- 2 ounces lime juice
- 2 ounces orange liqueur
- 6 ounces silver tequila
- 2 ounces agave nectar
- 1 cup ice
- For garnish: watermelon slices/balls, mint sprig, Tajin rim
- Using a lime wedge, rim 3 glasses with chili lime seasoning and set aside.
- Combine ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Divide watermelon margaritas between prepared glasses.
- Garnish with mint and a watermelon ball skewer, or a small slice of watermelon.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 261
- Sugar: 34.2 g
- Sodium: 36.5 mg
- Fat: 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 46.3 g
- Fiber: 0.9 g
- Protein: 1.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: watermelon margarita, watermelon margarita recipe, frozen watermelon margarita, spicy watermelon margarita, watermelon cocktail
This post contains affiliate links. I may earn commission from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. I will never recommend a product I don’t use or trust.