Here’s what you’ll need to make it
Ingredients & substitutions
- Gin – since we aren’t adding too much to this cocktail, it’s important use a good quality gin here – we are currently loving our bottle from Barr Hill.
- Lemon juice – freshly squeezed works best, but bottled will do. You can also change things up by swapping a different citrus from like lime or grapefruit
- Simple syrup – you can also substitute another liquid sweetener such as demerara syrup or agave nectar
- Fresh basil
How to make a basil smash
Muddle the basil. Combine the basil with lemon juice and simple syrup. Muddle until the basil leaves are crushed and fragrant. It should take about 30 seconds of vigorous muddling to get it there.
Shake the cocktail. Add ice and gin to the cocktail shaker. Cover and shake until chilled. Strain the drink into two prepared old fashioned glasses filled with ice.
Garnish. Serve immediately with a sprig of fresh basil and a lemon slice or wedge.
Everything you need to know the gin basil smash
The gin basil smash was invented by Joerg Meyer at Le Lion bar in Hamburg, Germany in 2008. It’s a riff on the classic whiskey smash cocktail that features mint.
If you don’t have a muddler, your best option would be a wooden spoon. You can use the handle to muddle your fresh basil. It may take a little bit longer than normal, but it should do the trick.
If you don’t have fresh basil, I think the next best substitute would be mint. The cocktail would obviously not be a basil smash, but it would still be delicious. You can also round out your basil with mint as they pair wonderfully together.
Gin cocktails you’ll love:
More summer drinks:
For even more cocktail recipes, check out our recipe index!Print
Gin Basil Smash
This simple gin basil smash is light and refreshing – and full of bright summer flavors. It’s a great way to use up extra basil from your garden, and if you muddle it enough, you’ll get a beautiful green drink.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 1 cocktail 1x
- Category: Gin
- Method: Mixing
- 1 ounce lemon juice
- 1 ounce simple syrup
- 6 – 8 fresh basil leaves
- 2 ounces gin
- For garnish: lemon slices, basil leaves
- Combine basil, lemon juice and simple syrup in a cocktail shaker. Muddle until the basil leaves are crushed and fragrant.
Add the gin and fill the cocktail shaker with ice. Cover and shake until chilled.
- Strain into a prepared old fashioned glasses filled with ice.
Garnish with fresh basil and a lemon slice before serving.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 186
- Sugar: 14.8 g
- Sodium: 1 mg
- Fat: 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 16.2 g
- Fiber: 0.1 g
- Protein: 0.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: gin basil smash, basil smash, gin smash, smash cocktail, gin cocktail, basil cocktail, lemon gin cocktail
This post contains affiliate links. I may earn commission from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. I will never recommend a product I don’t use or trust.