Why we love this love potion cocktail
- It’s pretty. The ingredients in this cocktail create a gorgeous, vibrant pink drink that’s perfect for celebrating Valentine’s Day. It’s even garnished with a strawberry heart to level up the love.
- It’s versatile. This vodka-based drink is actually really versatile. You could easily swap out the vodka for a variety of spirits. It would be great with tequila, gin or even bourbon – making it perfect for really anyone.
- It’s complex. While the ingredients themselves are fairly simple, the combination of all three creates a subtle complexity. The balance between the floral hibiscus, sweet strawberry and slightly bitter grapefruit is just incredible.
Here’s what you’ll need to make it
**This post contains affiliate links. I may earn commission from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. I will never recommend a product I don’t use or trust.**
Ingredients & substitutions
- Vodka – Feel free to swap for another spirit, but I used Tito’s to make this cocktail and it was great. The vodka is a perfect choice to let the flavors of this drink shine through.
- Strawberry puree – This is super simple to make. Simple blend strawberries and you’re done. I like to thaw a bag of frozen strawberries because it eliminates the need for cleaning and hulling the strawberries, but fresh will work just as well.
- Grapefruit juice – Normally, I say fresh squeezed is best, but I find bottle grapefruit juice to be great in cocktails. Just make sure it doesn’t have added sugars. If you have fresh ones to squeeze, definitely go for it.
- Hibiscus simple syrup – We love to make our own hibiscus syrup, it is super easy to follow this recipe to make your own too. This simple syrup add a sweet, floral flavor when added to cocktails, giving them a bit more depth and complexity.
How to make love potion no. 2
Make the hibiscus simple syrup. In a large saucepan, heat 1 cup of water and 1 cup of sugar until almost boiling. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Then add a hibiscus tea bag. Remove from heat and let the syrup steep for about 30 minutes.
Remove tea bag and transfer syrup to a jar or bottle. This should keep fresh for at least a week, but feel free to add 1 tablespoon of vodka to extend the syrup’s shelf life.
Shake up the cocktail. Fill a cocktail shaker with ice and add the cocktail ingredients. Cover and shake until cold. Strain into a chilled glass with crushed ice. I recommend using a hawthorne strainer rather than the top of your shaker for this one.
To make the garnish: slice a hulled strawberry in half from top to bottom. Then, use a pairing knife to carve inward, towards the top center to make a heart shape on the top.
More valentine inspired cocktails you will love
More vodka cocktail recipes you should try
Looking for these glasses? Shop here:
- 1 1/2 ounces vodka
- 2 ounces grapefruit juice
- 1 ounces hibiscus syrup
- 1 ounce strawberry puree
- For garnish: strawberry heart, grapefruit slice
- Add cocktail ingredients to a shaker with ice. Cover and shake until well chilled.
- Strain into a cocktail glass filled with crushed ice and garnish with a strawberry or grapefruit slice before serving.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Vodka
- Method: Shaken
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 180
- Sugar: 15.3 g
- Sodium: 1.6 mg
- Fat: 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 21.8 g
- Fiber: 0.6 g
- Protein: 0.4 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: strawberry puree cocktail, love potion cocktail, red cocktails, red cocktail, valentine cocktail, strawberry cocktail, hibiscus cocktail, grapefruit cocktail
This post contains affiliate links. I may earn commission from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. I will never recommend a product I don’t use or trust.