Why we love the Mexican candy shot
I have to admit. I was skeptical about this shot at first, but it’s so good. The watermelon pairs really well with the tequila, and that hit of sour is just perfection. It might be my new favorite shot.
This tequila shot recipe is a simple 1:1 ratio (with a dash of hot sauce), so it’s really easy to make on the fly. You can even batch it out if you want to be prepared for a party in advance.
Here’s what you’ll need to make it
**This post contains affiliate links. I may earn commission from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. I will never recommend a product I don’t use or trust.**
Ingredients & substitutions
- Sour watermelon liqueur – This is sometimes labeled as schnapps, but you want it to be the sour kind. We bought Watermelon Pucker.
- Tequila – I like a blanco or silver tequila for this recipe, but your favorite tequila will work great.
- Hot sauce – We used Tabasco chipotle. It’s a little less spicy than traditional, but it still gives the shot a kick. You can customize the spice level to suit your needs.
- Chili lime seasoning – Tajin is what I used, but you can use any brand you have on hand.
How to make this mexican candy shot recipe
Rim your glasses. Swipe the rim of each shot glass with a lime wedge. Then, dip the glass into some chili lime seasoning to coat. Set the glasses aside.
Mix the shots. Combine tequila, watermelon liqueur and hot sauce in a cocktail shaker and fill it with ice. Cover and shake until the shots are nice and cold.
Strain into your prepared shot glasses and serve. No need for a lime wedge. These shots are already sour enough, and you’ll love them.
Other fun shot recipes you will love
More tequila recipes you should try
Go ahead. Have another drink!
If you love this cocktail, I’m sure you’ll love the rest of my drink recipes. Sign up to get my latest sent straight to your inbox every week.
- 1 1/2 ounces tequila
- 1 1/2 ounces sour watermelon liqueur
- 2 – 4 dashes of hot sauce
- For garnish: lime wedge, chili lime seasoning, such as Tajin
- Prep Time: 3 minutes
- Category: Shots
- Method: Shaken
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 127
- Sugar: 8.9 g
- Sodium: 1.5 mg
- Fat: 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat:
- Carbohydrates: 8.9 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: mexican candy shot, mexican candy shot recipe, paleta shot, tequila shots
This post contains affiliate links. I may earn commission from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. I will never recommend a product I don’t use or trust.