Why we love this planter’s punch recipe
- Planter’s punch has historically been customized by those who make it. You can use different rums or fruit juices, add a little more sugar or a little less, depending on your preference.
- This punch cocktail is sweet, tangy and refreshing making it perfect for a hot summer day.
Here’s what you’ll need to make it
**This post contains affiliate links. I may earn commission from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. I will never recommend a product I don’t use or trust.**
Ingredients & substitutions
- Rum – We recommend using a gold or dark rum for the full flavor, but this cocktail would be great with whatever rum you have on hand.
- Allspice Dram – Allspice dram, or pimento dram, is a sweet and spicy liqueur that is made from allspice berries, which are native to Jamaica and other parts of the Caribbean. It boasts a complex flavor that is reminiscent of mulling spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove.
- Lime juice
- Simple syrup
- Grenadine – This is optional but it adds an extra sweet fruity flavor and a beautiful pop of color to the cocktail.
How to make planter’s punch
Shake your cocktail. Fill a cocktail shaker with ice and add all ingredients, except grenadine. Cover and shake until cold.
Layer your drink. Fill the bottom of a highball glass with a layer of grenadine. Add ice, then strain contents of shaker over the ice.
Garnish and serve. Top with fresh mint and a lime wheel on the rim of the glass. Serve immediately.
Everything you need to know about planter’s punch
As with many historical cocktails, it is hard to know exactly when planter’s punch was originally concocted although it’s safe to say it came around at the turn of the 20th century. Many say it originated at the Planter’s Inn, located in Charleston, South Carolina. Other have said this punch cocktail originated in Jamaica, either way this spiced, fruity alcoholic punch is here to stay.
These two punch cocktails are very similar, as planters punch is a rum based punch with added ingredients that make it stand out from the rest. The addition of Allspice Dram and bitters elevate this cocktail
Allspice dram is a rum based liqueur infused with pimento berries, leaving this liqueur with notes of warm spice, similar to those in traditional mulling spices but with a bittersweet finish.
If you are unable to find allspice dram, try adding an extra dash or two of bitters plus an extra ¼ oz of simple syrup.
More rum cocktail recipes you will love
More tiki cocktails you should try
Go ahead. Have another drink!
If you love this cocktail, I’m sure you’ll love the rest of my drink recipes. Sign up to get my latest sent straight to your inbox every week.
- 2 ounces rum
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 3/4 ounce simple syrup
- 1/4 ounce allspice dram
- 2 dashes of bitters
- 1/4 ounce grenadine (optional), layered on bottom of glass
- For garnish: lime wheel, fresh mint sprig
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Category: Rum
- Method: Shaken
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 218
- Sugar: 17 g
- Sodium: 3.6 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 20.9 g
- Fiber: 0.1 g
- Protein: 0.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Planters punch, planters punch ingredients, planters punch recipe, planters punch cocktail, planters punch drink, rum punch, rum punch cocktail
Last Updated on June 28, 2023 by Melissa Belanger
This post contains affiliate links. I may earn commission from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. I will never recommend a product I don’t use or trust.