Why I love this dirty banana cocktail
We’ve reached the height of summer here, and we’re trying to soak it all in before school starts again, which means this frozen banana concoction has has been on repeat – that is, when we’re not sipping a bicicletta cocktail by the pool.
I love this recipe because it’s not super sweet – at least not compared to other frozen cocktails, and I’m sure the coffee liqueur and dark rum help balance the sweetness of the banana.
Here’s what you’ll need to make it
Ingredients & substitutions
- Dark rum – feel free to substitute your favorite rum here, but we prefer dark over spiced and white
- Coffee liqueur – if you don’t like the flavor of coffee, you could sub a chocolate liqueur like creme de cacao.
- Banana liqueur – I’ve also seen this made with banana flavored rum, but I think the liqueur adds a bit of sweetness and keeps the drink from being super strong
- Milk – any milk you like, we normally use coconut milk, but any kind will work
- Banana – the riper the better, but this definitely can’t be skipped
How to make a dirty banana cocktail
Measure. Place all of the ingredients into a high speed blender. I recommend adding the liquid first, followed by the banana and ice. This helps the blender get things going and leads to a smoother drink.
Garnish. Pour the blended cocktail into two highball glasses – or whatever glasses you choose to serve them in – and garnish with whipped cream, banana slice, cherry and a dusting of freshly grated nutmeg.
More banana cocktails:
Tropical cocktails you’ll love:
For even more cocktail recipes, check out our recipe index!Print
Dirty Banana Cocktail
The dirty banana cocktail pairs rum and coffee liqueur with banana to create a frozen drink that’s sweet and creamy. This unique cocktail will transport you to a tropical beach any time of the year, but it’s a great addition to your summer drink rotation.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Rum
- Method: Blending
- Add ingredients to a blender pitcher. Blend on high for about 30 seconds, or until the drink has reached a smooth consistency.
- Pour into two cocktail glasses and top with whipped cream.
- Garnish with grated nutmeg, banana slice and cherry. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 462
- Sugar: 40.7 g
- Sodium: 34.1 mg
- Fat: 0.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 55.5 g
- Fiber: 3.1 g
- Protein: 3.2 g
- Cholesterol: 1.1 mg
Keywords: banana cocktail, dirty banana cocktail, banana drink, tropical cocktail, frozen cocktail
This post contains affiliate links. I may earn commission from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. I will never recommend a product I don’t use or trust.